Scrabble Day is celebrated on 13 April. Its creator, Alfred Mosher Butts, was born 13 April 1899. Approximately 150 million Scrabble sets have been sold worldwide.
Nine Literary Scrabble Quotes
- Remember, when you don’t know what to do, it never hurts to play Scrabble. It’s like reading the I Ching or tea leaves. ~Kelly Link
- Palindrome as well. My sister’s name is Hannah. Father liked word games. He was fourteen times World Scrabble Champion. When he died, we buried him at Queenzieburn to make use of the triple word score. ~Jasper Fforde
- Jeff is the annoying kind of Scrabble player who plays a lot of obscure two-letter words that shouldn’t count but for whatever reason are considered legitimate. My father is the annoying kind of Scrabble player who takes hours with his turn and then plays deliberately misspelled words that no one has the heart to call him out on. I am the perfect Scrabble player, both serious and considerate. Obviously I lost by a lot. ~Bennett Madison
- Children are the most desirable opponents at scrabble as they are both easy to beat and fun to cheat. ~Fran Lebowitz
- They obey their mothers. They don’t go into a dark cellar without expecting to be strangled by a zombie. They bless themselves constantly. And us, what do we do? We watch television and play Scrabble. So there it is, children of light and darkness. ~Don DeLillo
- She was sitting by herself at a card table with a Scrabble game half finished, an empty coffee cup beside her, looking annoyed as hell. ~Mickey Spillane
- The thing Richie remembered about Jimmy Cullum, a quiet little boy who also wore spectacles, was that he liked to play Scrabble on rainy days. Not going to be playing Scrabble any more, Richie thought, and shivered a little. ~Stephen King
- The thoughts that came to her, of Jeffrey, were not really thoughts at all — they were more like alterations in her body. This could happen [in] the middle of Monopoly games, Scrabble games, card games. She went right on talking, listening, working, keeping track of the children, while some memory of her secret life disturbed her like a radiant explosion. ~Alice Munro
- Brian says you’re very competitive…. He said he wouldn’t want to play Scrabble with you. ~Jonathan Franzen
by Amanda Patterson .
Follow Amanda on Facebook and Pinterest and Twitter and Google+